May 3, 2013

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Awakening (Darkest Powers Trilogy #2)
Author: Kelley Armstrong 
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release date: April 28th 2009

Rating: 4.5/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository

You can read my review of The Summoning - here
You don't have to be alive to be awakened.

Chloe Saunders is a living science experiment--not only can she see ghosts, but she was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. She's a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control, which means she can raise the dead without even trying. Now Chloe's running for her life with three of her supernatural friends--a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch--and they have to find someone who can help them before the Edison Group catches them.

Or die trying.

This is the second time I read this book and there were several things that I did not remember about it. It was good to return to the world where this story takes place, I simply love it.

Chloe Saunders finally discovered that she isn´t schizophrenic as she was diagnosed initially, but she´s a necromancer that can see ghosts and talk to them, but besides this she discovers that she isn´t a "regular" necromancer because she and her friends were part of an experiment and are genetically modified. And now they´re running from the Edison Group, a team of scientists that created them and now want them back. It was during this running for their life situation that we see a bit more of development of the characters and as Derek and Chloe are able to spend more time together and she begins to see him with different eyes.

This book is one of my favorite of the trilogy because Chloe and Derek have some time away from the others and I see them interact a little more. And as I said before Derek is my favorite character in this trilogy, and he's a different type of hero of the ones I'm used to in YA novels (I usually see more of such heroes in adults books), and he has a big temper, is used to be right, is stubborn, is a very intelligent person (nerd / loves math and science), he needs to be in control of the situation, is very honest/blunt, he speaks his mind without sugarcoating anything, in regard to his physical appearance, he´s not very attractive; he's having problems with puberty so he have severe acne and he wears baggy clothes to look less threatening but besides all this he is extremely protective of his loved ones and put their safety first before himself.

This is a trilogy that I LOVE and is among my favorites. The Awakening has more action and intrigue than the previous book, but still has no romance, it only let you see a possible romance and a possible love triangle.


Book trailer

4 comments:

  1. Cool review. I love this series and Derek! The story unfolded more for me in this book. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this series. this review just adds that much more to the desire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this series but for me Chloe was easy to connect to and it sounds like you didn't get that same connection. I liked Chloe as a character a lot better than Maya in the Darkness Rising series because Chloe pays more attention to other characters around her while Maya jumps to conclusion and is really self focused. Normally that wouldn't bother me in a character too much but with a first person point of view it leads to poorly developed secondary characters since the character telling the story isn't paying attention to the other characters. For me Chloe's narrative offered better secondary characters and I LOVED Derek's character. He made me want to be a teen again so I could go chase a werewolf. But again reviews are opinions and everyone has a different one and a right to that opinion. The Darkest Powers Bonus Pack which is a collection of associated short stories helps with fleshing out the secondary characters in this series as well because it offers two stories from Derek's point of view plus another from Simon and Victoria's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wanna buy the book and read. But alas! It is not available in my country :(

    Thank you though! I'll probably try taking a look out for this ;)

    ReplyDelete