May 18, 2014

Review: After the End by Amy Plum


Title: After the End (After the End #1)
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: May 6th 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Format: eARC

Rating: 4/5

Buy onAmazon | B&N | BookDepository
She’s searching for answers to her past. They’re hunting her to save their future.

World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.

At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.

When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.

Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.

Initially I thought this book was the dystopian genre, but after reading it I'm not sure if it´s science fiction or paranormal, but the first chapters of the plot reminds me at least a little bit of the movie The Village.

After the End is told from the point of view of Juneau and Miles; Juneau is a seventeen year old girl, she lives with her clan in the uninhabited part of Alaska, where her parents and friends took refuge 30 years ago, shortly before the third world war, which ended with the world and the people that survived was affected by radiation. She lives with her clan in a safe place, but she must never leave their territory, because they could be attacked by other survivors that could harm her or at least that's what Juneau has been told all her life. But when her clan is kidnapped and she tries to find them she learns that everything the elders have told her was a lie, there was never a third world war, but for some reason unknown to her they been hiding and the world outside is overwhelming for her, but still she´ll do everything to find her clan and rescue them.

Miles is a privileged young guy who at the time isn´t on good terms with his father since he was expelled from high school, so his father put him to work as a punishment in the mail area of his mega company. But somewhere along the way their paths cross and they spend some time together, Miles thinks that she isn´t right in the head and Juneau thinks that he´s a good for nothing and they bicker and banter a lot of the time (their banter is really funny).

Overall, I really liked this book!, the idea of this story is really good and original (in some parts), it hooked me from the start, the story was very engaging, action-packed, with mystery and paranormal/sci-fi elements. It has a cliffhanger ending that was little abrupt for my liking but it left me wanting to read the next book as soon as possible.

17 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this book, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is NOT dystopian and I'm not sure how to qualify it... thriller? paranormal?
    I still really liked it, despite the cliffhanger at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this review. I really would love to read this book so this is encouraging :') Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. I like Amy Plum's Die For Me series. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am eager to read this book. It has been getting a lot of hype so this must be a really excellent read. Definitely loved your review, btw! I'm going to get a copy really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Die For Me series, so this should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the review and Amy Plum too. This is one of my TBR for this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Amy Plum, and this sounds like a great story. I have heard some mixed reviews for it, but because of the author it is one that is an absolute must-read for me. I adore the cover, too! Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I judged this book by its cover, at first I think I wouldn't like it thinking this is a dystopian book (I have issues when it comes to dystopian books). I changed my mind when i read your review and found out that this is far more likely to be a dystopian and you mention my favorite word "cliffhanger". Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so tough to find a good dystopian book that is original now and if this one is unique I need to get it. I've not read any of Amy Plum's books before but have heard good things about her writing style. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. I didn't like the movie "The Village," so if this books is too much like it, it probably isn't for me. BUT, if it's only similar in the beginning, as I understand from your review, I still really want to read it. OK. I still want to read it. Thanks for an intriguing review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, this is next on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *adding this book to my wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I already wanted to read this. Now I really do. Yours is the first review I have read for this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's looks like I won't be disappointed when I read this. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for reviewing this! I was worried. I'm glad the book was different than expected & I can live w/ cliffhangers.

    ReplyDelete